Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Remembering my undergraduate days and understanding “race” during my visit in San German

Jessica D. Johnson
May 27, 2007

Many people who know me- know that I am very proud of my undergraduate experience; I spent four wonderful years at Langston University before attending OU. I often reminisce and boost of the togetherness of students, the bonds and ongoing relationships with my professors and mentors, and the pride of attending a predominately black institution. My memories at Langston include small classes that created a family environment, eating home cooked meals with professors, excitedly watching the roaring Marching Pride band at football games, Greek parties and barbecues, and the countless hours in the Communication department.



During our four-day stay in San German at the Inter American University of Puerto Rico these memories were awakened and for a minute I remembered what it felt like to be in an environment where everyone looks like you and share a similar ethnic background. Although students may have been another hue, came from a different state, or had different parental upbringing, almost all students identified with being African-American. My initial purpose for attending this trip was to learn about another culture and study diversity issues while visiting Puerto Rico.
During my last night in San German, I sat and talked with Samuel, a freshman psychology major at Inter American. I felt we were old friends as he shared his life, the place where he grew up, his familial upbringing and college experiences at the university. He asked me about my family, values, religion and what Oklahoma was like. Later, the concept of race in the U.S. and Puerto Rico found its way into our conversation. Most people from the island consider themselves Puerto Rican regardless of their color. He explained there is no distinction among the people here in Puerto Rico; they are all one race of people. This was true as I watched Puerto Ricans interact with each other and other students who weren’t native Puerto Ricans in the dorm. Race is not a topic of discussion as Puerto Ricans are of African, European, and Indian descent.


Inter American is small and is a lot like Langston in many ways. Just as Langston is on a hill, the small main campus of Inter American is in the city of San German and is full of hills. After four days of walking, I should have lost at least ten pounds making my way up and down the hills on their campus and in the town. The students are also fashionable in their dress attire and have adopted the hip-hop culture in terms of dress and music. One student had a “bling bling” watch on and a Lacoste polo shirt and another male had rims on his car and blasted Eminem while driving on campus. The females aren’t far from being Fashionistas either in their cute tops and three inch hills.
The morning of our departure to San Juan, I stopped by the student center to have one more glimpse and to reminisce again of my undergraduate days. The student center features a sizable “Café” including the financial aid, admissions and study abroad offices and the university bookstore.





Students gathered to have breakfast before they headed to take finals and I boarded the bus to head to San Juan with a new perspective about race or “the lack of race”.

3 comments:

Dr. C said...

Jessica thought this was going to be a difficult day for her to "blog" because we had no planned activities. However, the life at Inter enveloped her and when she made the connection to her undergraduate days at Langston U, a blog was born! Mixing it up with the Puerto Rican blend of race and ethnicity gave her lots to think about.

Angela said...

It is interesting to note just how similar everyone really is. Even though we are thousands of miles away from the continental states, you were still reminded of your experiences back in Oklahoma! How interesting!

Dawn J. said...

I can see the similarities between the two. That is one of the main reasons why I want to go to a HBCU. I liked the comparisons, nice angle.

Blog Archive