Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Taking Procrastination to a Whole New Level

By: Haley Hernandez

Planes, buses, automobiles and ferries; the convenient ways we’ve found to travel across Puerto Rico… and make some people very motion sick. Fortunately I was drugged up on Dramamine yesterday morning so I slept through both the bus and the ferry which brought us to Vieques. This peaceful island is located an hour (by ferry) away from Fajardo, Puerto Rico.



right: Horses on the beach

We arrived yesterday at 11 a.m. and it was evident to me that this would be the most dangerous location to stop at of all the four places we’ve been. Not because there’s crime or malicious animals here in Vieques, but worse… there’s tempting beaches. Beautiful, gorgeous, plenty of temptation for procrastination sitting right across the street from everywhere we happen to be. Our hotel has a beautiful view of the ocean, restaurants have beautiful views of the ocean, and just about every time you stop to look up, you see phenomenal blue and green beaches that hardly seem real.
I couldn’t help it; there was no time for work yesterday. The beach was calling my name. My three roommates Kelly, Kelly Ann, Lauren and myself managed to swim, nap, talk, and listen to the music for two and a half hours in a spot far away from other people (as most things are here in Vieques) and we stood in awe of this place we all agreed must be the definition of paradise.
So, I didn’t get much studying in. I actually didn’t do much of anything else yesterday but stand and absorb the smell of salt, colors of blue and green, and the sound of the waves hitting against the shore less than a few feet away from palm trees. Although I might be regretting the procrastination now that I have a lot of work to do today, I made memories yesterday that I will always remember. The beaches of the Caribbean have set a standard in my head of what breathtaking beauty really looks like.



Me in heaven!!!

1 comment:

maelzo said...

It sounds like procrastinating was the best thing to happen to you on that trip. I'm glad you got to spend a few hours in paradise.

Blog Archive