Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Arriving in Puerto Rico: May 16, 2007


Waking up around 3:15a.m., I was still trying to finish packing my bag for two weeks in Puerto Rico. Arriving at the airport, I was too excited to be tired, but sitting on the plane was a different story. The second I fell into the seat, I passed out for the entire ride. The airport in Puerto Rico was a blur. While trying to observe my surroundings, I gathered my luggage and followed the group of students outside. Stepping out of the airport, I was greeted by the warm, humid air that is typical of summers in Puerto Rico. Driving through San Juan en route to Ponce, seeing the countryside, with its gently rolling hills, I already knew I was in paradise. The flora was very luscious and everything looked healthy and green, as if there had just been a downpour. The sun was out, though, and it looked like it was going to be a day of perfect weather. The heat and humidity does not bother, and I actually find it quite pleasant from the dry heat of Fort Worth, Texas. Arriving in Ponce, we pull up in front of the Hotel Melia, and it looks like a classic Puerto Rican hotel. The concierge is extremely friendly and welcomes us with a huge smile and warm hello. The rooms are small but cozy with a nice view of the town's skyline from the view of my balcony. By the time we were settled into our rooms, it was already dinner time. I meet the group in the lobby of the hotel, and we wander around the corner to an Argentinean restaurant, which is brightly lit with twinkle lights. We are led to the back of the restaurant and seated in an empty corner, except for one other couple. At dinner, we play interactive games and get to know everyone in the group a little bit better. After dinner, we walk past the hotel into King's Ice Cream shop. I try the Tamarindo flavor which has a slight cinnamon flavor. As I am finishing my ice cream while staring at a gorgeous fountain, which is brightly lit with multicolored lights, I can feel the get lag and lack of sleep kicking in. I saunter back to back to the hotel and fall into my bed into a deep sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Puerta Rico sounds awesome and the hotel seems very nice. I would love to experience the Argentinan food and, of course, the ice cream would be a great touch to top off an exciting day arriving in Puerta Rico.

Blog Archive