Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Why I Want to Va a Puerto Rico! (I'm good at Spanglish)


By: Haley Hernandez
I will graduate with a minor in Spanish and last summer spent six weeks in Chile and Argentina. My experience last summer changed my life because it taught me a lot about myself and other cultures. I feel like the trip to Puerto Rico is my opportunity to combine journalism and my Spanish. Most importantly, I’m eager to learn about travel writing because that’s an important aspect of journalism but not a course available during the regular school semesters.
In the future, I plan to work for a television news station. No matter what station I work for, I know the importance of being bilingual and having worldly experience on top of excellent writing and reporting skills. I think the trip to Puerto Rico will not only help me work toward these goals but teach me so much more than I can even imagine.
This past fall semester as an intern at OU Nightly, it became clear that I want and need more hands on experience to know what I am good at and what I like. I am a firm believer that the best education is not always in a classroom and hope that I can have the privilege to study in Puerto Rico this summer to give me a journalistic experience that will help me to accomplish my goals by furthering my education in ways that are not possible sitting in a classroom.
I commit myself completely to everything I do and especially to furthering my education. I am a hard worker and I make it a point to learn from every experience. I would not take the learning experience in Puerto Rico lightly, instead I would use the two weeks as an intense training for what I want to do with my future.

No comments:

Blog Archive