Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Wonderful World of Technology or Not So Wonderful

May 29, 2007
The Wonderful World of Technology or Not So Wonderful
Jessica D. Johnson

During this entire trip I’ve had access to technology and the ability to carry on with my life as if I am still in Oklahoma. I have attempted to catch up on old projects, and tie up loose ends, but today technology does not seem to be on my side; high price gadgets have failed me. Now, I am not a techie junkie. I don’t have a lot of gadgets, download millions of music or songs from the Internet, surf the net for hours on hours, and upload millions of pics on Facebook or MySpace. I have a friend who cried when the Mac representative told her she wouldn’t have her laptop for weeks because it crashed. She apparently downloaded too much crap from the Internet.
But, yesterday on our journey from San Juan to Vieques, my luxury has turned into my worst nightmare. Upon arrival I noticed my brand new “bling bling” Blackberry Pearl became sick during the nearly two hour Ferry ride and despite its good fight for survival – my cell stop breathing this morning and unfortunately, died this afternoon.
See how cute my "bling bling" is? Unfortunately, it's dead.
Talk about being cut off from the world, from my boyfriend who lives in New Jersey. Living more than a thousand miles apart, telephone conversations are relationship lifeline. In a long distance relationship every conversation, every email and every time you see each other is just as important as the last conversation, the last email and the last vacation spent together. Luckily for me, I head to New Jersey on Thursday, so I’ll soon be in the arms of the one I love, but until then I guess I will cut off from him and the rest of the world; this could be a good thing. Just think about it for a moment. I am in Puerto Rico, on the small island of Vieques. They are small shops here, a small green grocery store and white sandy beach, however my dilemma of the day is the fact that my technology including my MacBook Pro is not working right. At the moment I can only think about obligations that I need to fulfill and the fact that my phone and Internet access isn’t working is a pain.
Have I gotten so used to the luxuries in life that I don’t appreciate the most beautiful and simplest things? As much as I am ready to be in New Jersey with my boyfriend and visit my girlfriend Terra who lives in Philadelphia, who just had a baby girl Taegan. I am missing out on something really exciting and peaceful all at the same time.

This beautiful, alluring Caribbean beach lured me in. It literally called my name.

The fact is, I am convinced that I will miss these wonderful beaches, friendly people and mouth-watering plantains. While this trip has been a demanding adventure, in the most humid conditions it has definitely been a personal discovery. I guess I rediscovered what I already knew. Enjoy the moment and the beauty that is in front of you RIGHT NOW. So what if I don’t get to talk to James for a couple of days. Hey, I think I will head to the beach and study there. Tests await me on tomorrow.
Adios!

1 comment:

haley said...

excellent entry! I know exactly how you feel and got a good laugh when reading your post because I can hear your voice in your writing, which is a huge compliment. Glad you had fun in Puerto Rico, Jessica!

Blog Archive