Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Point and Shoot


By: Angela Fetty

Monday, May 21, 2007

Puerto Rico. There were dozens of ideas polluting my head about what the relatively small island of Puerto Rico would hold, and my anxiety was mounting. The possibilities were endless: a new culture, an opportunity to speak Spanish, meet new people, travel to an exotic place, and eat scrumptious food.
Well, this island and culture have consumed me. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of fascinating places and buildings to visit, and that is just the beginning.

San Germán de Auxerre Parrish
overlooks the town of San Germán's
main plaza and was built in 1688.
Today was one of the group’s ‘unstructured’ days, a day when we were not ushered around a town by a knowledgeable tour guide, but a day when we created our own adventure and everything was left up to circumstance.
The up-and-down trek to la plaza was excruciatingly hot even at 9:30 a.m.; while the sun pounded down on the back of my neck and shoulders I regretted not wearing my cute khaki hat with a built-in sweat band.
Puerto Rico, due to its rich religious roots, has gorgeous churches varying in color, size, and age, some have dramatic staircases leading to the giant painted wooden doors, resembling a climb to heaven, others are quant and less picturesque. In la plaza de San Germán sit two churches on either end, appearing to be in constant battle for beauty and attention, these probably are the most photographed buildings by the tourists who pit stop in Puerto Rico’s oldest city. The less dramatic and smaller church has been converted into a museum of religious artifacts, but was closed because Monday appears to be a relaxation day for many people in town. My small, bright, pink camera now possesses fantastic pictures. The museum church contrasted against the brilliant blue sky with its clay flowerpot colored walls and dozens upon dozens of stairs ascending to the dark wooden arched doors. The church across la plaza is situated atop a hill and what people may think of when they imagine a Spanish inspired Catholic church, it’s tall steeples, cupolas, and awe-inspiring crosses reach up to caress the sky, while the faded file folder colored walls with eggshell white trim attempt to attract members for their daily congregations. My love for photography paralyzes me at the outside of the churches for only minutes, until I capture that perfect picture, then my interest and attention dwindles quickly, there is no need to enter, and I must move on.

As the hours escaped me, the day was partially over. Returning to my simple aqua blue dorm room, on the campus of La Universidad Interamericana de Puerto Rico, I collapsed in the plastic wrapped bed and desired to take a longer than average catnap. But, the need to read, meet for class, and write this blog weighed on my mind.



La Porta Coeli is a symbol of the city of San German. It is the oldest religious structure outside of San Juan and was built in 1606.


Now, I sit in the courtyard reflecting on my adventures with the music of crickets echoing in my head, and the mosquitoes, which are not afraid to attack even with what is supposed to be OFF! (I’m assuming this is what I am supposed to yell when the spray does not work and they land on me to suck out all my life) jetting around my exposed skin. I cannot think of anywhere I would rather be and I have frame worthy photographs to always remember those beautiful church exteriors.

(More to come about other Puerto Rican adventures)

3 comments:

Dr. C said...

Angela's adventurous soul comes out in this reflection on the first day where we were really left to our own impulses in Puerto Rico. Her photos are gorgeous, and her words hint at some of the ideas swirling around her as she explores her new environment.

Dawn J. said...

For someone who isn't religious or even spiritual you seem to focus strongly on the church. Very good imagery and I like the OFF statement. Very well written.

Slater Rhea (now blog.slaterrhea.com) said...

Angie, your presence on this trip has been a real joy for those of us who have had contact with you - or at least me and some other people who I talked to.

The organic nature of this experience - our closeness to the world around us - mosquitoes, crickets, cats, dogs, people - has really impressed me about this trip, and this comes across, I think in your blog.

To be close to someone, to a culture so far removed in so many senses from our own is a powerful, comforting thing.

I appreciated this blog. Thanks for your presence on this trip.

Slater

Blog Archive