Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Puerto Rico..Here I Come!

I was starving, and after plan X, we finally ended up at Chiles!

April 1, 2007
By: Kendal Tate

I am interested in the May Intersession Study Abroad in Puerto Rico because it will expose me to a new country. I will rely on the culture and its history to guide my writing. Puerto Rico is a different environment where I will be able to interact with new people who share a different culture and lifestyle from my own.
After taking several Spanish courses, I have come to appreciate the Hispanic culture. It is obviously very different from my own, and I love to learn about new cultures. With my Spanish background I have some feel for the Hispanic culture and lifestyle, and want to learn more.

One of my favorite cultural excursions occurred years ago in Japan. My aunt took me to visit a fifth grade classroom, similar to mine in the U.S. I knew no Japanese and the other fifth graders knew some English. We found common ground in
Print Club, photos from a machine. I enjoyed spending time with my new friends because I learned some Japanese and how to communicate with students I did not know.
I have always wanted to visit a rain forest because they are so exotic and intriguing. I have seen personal pictures of friends who have been to a rain forest in Costa Rica. As beautiful as the photographs are, I am sure the country is even more stunning in person.

My long term goal, once I finish graduate school, is to be the editor-in-chief of a magazine. Magazines are always changing and only have a shelf-life of about a month. They are based on current issues and trends. New information is gathered and stories are created. This tour will allow me to see this process in full view.
With this experience, I will be able to report what I see, feel, smell, taste and hear. I will strive to write so the reader feels as though he/she is on this tour with me, experiencing the breadth of culture and beauty.
I am not an experienced travel writer, although I love to travel and look at travel brochures. I am an avid photographer with many albums documenting my friendships, interests, accomplishments, and travels.
I am currently a freelance writer for an Internet based sports company. In this job I interview current and former NCAA and Olympic gymnasts, gather data, and create articles that are published on an interactive website. I will bring this experience to Puerto Rico and look to expand my skills.
I enjoy working on a computer whether it is listening to music, keeping in touch with friends, or assembling a presentation. I have experience in creating a slideshow, complete with script and music.

This will be my first time to travel out of the United States by myself.
I am a hardworking individual who is dedicated and focused on the task at hand. I learned commitment and dedication through my experience as a level 10 gymnast and a competitive cheerleader.

I will enjoy visiting Puerto Rico and hope to have the opportunity to write about my travels through this exotic country.

1 comment:

Dr. C said...

Kendal is a take-no-prisoners kinda person. When she wrote this essay, I'm sure she had no idea that we would all share the adventure of trying to find dinner in Ponce on a weekend night in walking distance from where we were staying. This picture is not a true reflection of her...when she's fed, she smiles more (-;

Blog Archive