Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Travel writing excursion

I am applying for this Travel Writing course in Puerto Rico for many different reasons. My future plans consist of moving to Italy to become a sports caster for a local news station. I realize that I will have to be very experienced in many different situations for this goal to be accomplished. I know international broadcasting is very difficult, and I need a lot of outside exposure. I believe this Puerto Rico trip would give me some of the exposure to different people, cultures, and languages that I need.
Being a freshman, I understand that most of the starting spots will go to upperclassman. I was told that I could wait to go, but I was never a very patient person. I’ve seen too many people’s dreams pass them by because they waited for a better time. I believe that there is nothing wrong with starting early; I think it actually helps you in the long run. I became involved with the broadcasts within the first two weeks I was here. I have been working part time, interning at the Nightly News, and working on the Sports Package for the past semester. I have big goals and dreams, and I have realized that I cannot accomplish them without other people’s help. I am doing everything in my power to make my goals a reality. I am planning on studying abroad in Italy the summer of my junior year, so I’m not sure that I will get the chance to go on another travel writing trip like this one. I would really appreciate it if you would consider me for a position on the team you are taking to Puerto Rico.

Posted by kimberly querry at 5:29 PM

1 comment:

Dr. C said...

Kimberly is just as earnest in person as she appeared to be in this essay, but she is a lot of fun, too. Her trademark saying--"Just do it!" NIKE couldn't find a better spokesperson. Will her class experiences match her expectations? Keep reading and find out.

Blog Archive