Our View

Read, write, enjoy. Join our conversation as we explore ways to communicate culture.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What is a Territory?

right: Alcaldia (mayor's office)
By: Haley Hernandez


Before I got to Puerto Rico I wondered what it would be like to be surrounded by the exotic Caribbean culture but technically still in the same nation. Although the culture is quite different from anything we experience in the United States, when people speak to me in English and I pay for things in American dollars, I don’t blink an eye and question which boundaries I’m within.
Today, Monday May 21, I had an interview with the vice-mayor of San German about this sensitive subject of whether or not Puerto Rico wants to become a state. Prior to today I tried to get opinions from nice people I’d meet from Puerto Rico and ask how they felt about this topic. Nobody responded with indifference. With most people that I questioned, it was obvious with their reaction that I struck a nerve of passion within them. I’d be answered with an eager positive response or with a jumble of frazzled English as people searched for the right words to tell me specifically why Puerto Rico should remain independent. So as I sat in the press room of the Alcaldia (Mayor’s office) I took some deep breaths and hoped he’d respect my desire to become more educated on this subject instead of shunning my questions which I’d already experienced others doing quickly when I brought up politics.
“In your opinion, do you think Puerto Rico should become the 51st state of the United States?” I asked.
Vice Mayor, Damien Morales gave me a patient smile as he explained this “ancient” and continuous question that floats over the heads of the Puerto Ricans on a daily basis. He said he believed the ties with the United States were strong enough as they are and felt they should remain independent.
However, the story takes on new meanings every day. I came into this excursion having very minimal information compared to what I know now. Every day I learn something new that changes the angle of the story. Either people telling me they didn’t want to be a state because they didn’t want English to be the main language spoken here or they wanted to be a state because they felt protected and wealthier as Americans. I’m enjoying learning more about this with each person I meet. Nonetheless, it doesn’t change the group’s question of “what is this?” Are we studying abroad, or not?

6 comments:

Dr. C said...

Haley's thoughful reflections give all of us hope that aspiring journalists will know the difference between "drive-by" journalism and the real thing. The "statehood" question is a big one, and Haley's sensitive writing picks up on some of the nuances of this debate.
Study abroad or study at home? It seems that this is a debate as old as travel writing itself...

Dawn J. said...

I wish I was able to meet the vice mayor. With all your hard work I hope all your footage comes out great and your packages are amazing. I'm looking forward to viewing them next semester on channel 4.

Angela said...

Haley, you were so lucky to have the privilege to interview the vice-mayor! It sounds like you learned so much information and got to talk with an elected official is just so cool! The mayor's building in San German is gorgeous too!

Slater Rhea (now blog.slaterrhea.com) said...

Haley, you do well to point out important issues in Puerto Rico's living history. What I have found so striking is that this is a place full of relevance, a sense of urgency, and where people care about issues involving their citizenship.

To be a citizen, in the original sense of the word was to be a participant, a responsible member of society. It is clear not only that Puerto Ricans are true citizens of these United States, but also that they are concerned with their country. This is significant in a time when many Americans are disinterested and disaffected with the political process.

It is exciting to be in this place, and you put it well, where history is being written. Decisions are being made in these critical years that will affect Americans for many generations to come.


Thank you for the seriousness of your project; you concern for the people and the important issues comes across poignantly in your blog.

Thank you for being on this trip. I'm so glad you are here and doing what you do.

Slater

maelzo said...

Nice job, Haley. I'll admit that I'm jealous of all the things you've had the opportunity to experience: studying in Chile for the summer, spending 2 weeks in Puerto Rico, and an awesome internship in NYC. I found this post interesting because I can remember back to my fourth grade classroom and the teacher telling us that someday Puerto Rico might be the 51st state and then wondering for years why it never came to fruition. Now I have a better idea why.

Unknown said...

Haley, I think you picked a great topic to write about while in Puerto Rico. In the U.S. we usually don't think about places like Puerto Rico or Guam being part of the U.S. but they are and it is very interesting to see how people that are U.S. citizens but are culturally different from us view the U.S. It was also interesting they different reasons for and against becoming a state such as wanting to wanting to have a strong economy like the U.S. but still wanting to retain their culture (i.e. language, etc.). Very nicely done.

Blog Archive